Skip to main content

HAVE YOU SEEN MY BUFFALO? - A Rhyming Story for Children



Have You Seen My Buffalo?


Written and Illustrated
By

Dianna Lynne Wood
© For Squirrel, Designs – (Wood) Kane 2004


Note to the Parent or Educator:  This story book is much more than just a delightful rhyming story   It is an interactive educational book that is designed to increase your child’s vocabulary, improve communication, gain a better understanding of rhyming words and sounds, and promote and develop your child’s natural creative talents.  It is recommended that you first read the story to your child.  Pause at any words that may not be familiar to them and provide a definition only after asking them if they know what a word might mean.  After reading the story through once, go back to the beginning of the story and review the sets of rhyming words out loud with your child.  

______________________________________________________________________


“Have you seen my Buffalo?  I have searched high and low...looked to and fro.  Where he is, I do not know.

I’ll go ask Joe.  He might know.”

Joe was a crow from Idaho.

I found Joe eating a pistachio under some mistletoe while playing with a domino and his yo-yo near his studio in Tokyo.





“Hey Joe!   I cannot find my Buffalo.  I have searched high and low...looked to and fro.  Where he is, I do not know.”

“I’ll help you find your buffalo.  Let’s go to the rodeo in Mexico.  We’ll ask the head honcho who wears a poncho and has a big black mustachio.”

So…off we went to Mexico!

“Mr. Honcho!  Mr. Honcho!  Have you seen my Buffalo?  I have searched high and low...looked to and fro.  Where he is, I do not knowJoe the crow from Idaho thought you might know the whereabouts of my Buffalo.”

“Perhaps you should go to Ontario and ask Romeo.  He might know…for I haven’t seen your Buffalo.”


He went below, said “tally-ho”, got in his boat and began to row.  He was on his way to Cairo to buy a yellow sombrero.

So…off we went to Ontario!



“Oh, Romeo!  Oh, Romeo!  Have you seen my Buffalo?  I have searched high and low...looked to and fro.  Where he is, I do not know.  The head honcho at the rodeo in Mexico thought you might know the whereabouts of my Buffalo.”

“I may have seen him long-ago on the patio down by the depot owned by so-and-so.”

“Well, let’s go!”

So, we went to the patio down by the depot owned by so-and-so to (hopefully) find my Buffalo.

“See!  There you go,” said Romeo.  “There is your Buffalo.”
NoNo!  That’s no Buffalo!  That’s a doe, incognito.”


   “Oh, I didn’t know.  Would you join me for gazpacho and a video before you go?

So, we watched a show on video and ate gazpacho with Romeo and the doe on the patio by the depot.  The gazpacho was magnifico but it gave me vertigo and I stubbed my toeBoy, did it grow!  It even turned black and indigo!

“Please bring me a bow and some Velcro and I’ll wrap my toe.

Thank you for the gazpacho, but we really must go.  I want to find my Buffalo.”

“Try the Navajo down at the Alamo.  I hear he may know about a Buffalo.”

So…off we went to the Alamo!

“Can you help us find my Buffalo?  I have searched high and low...looked to and fro.  Where he is, I do not know.  Romeo thought you might know the whereabouts of my Buffalo.”

No, I haven’t seen your Buffalo.  But, I hear tell there’s a buffalo in a gazebo in Kokomo.  Perhaps it is there that you should go.”
  
So…off we went to Kokomo!

“My Buffalo! My Buffalo!

I finally found my Buffalo!”

He was in a gazebo wearing a cameo and playing the banjo.



“We have searched high and low …looked to and fro.  Where you had gone, I did not know.”

   “Well, I caught a rainbow from Idaho to Kokomo where I found a bungalow in the snow that had a radio, served cookie dough and escargot, gave me this cameo, and let me play my banjo.  Would you like to go to the bungalow?  You’ll have to tip-toe really slow through the snow.”

So, we all went to the bungalow and ate cookie dough and escargot while we listened to the radio.

 “Hey, look!  There’s the rainbow.  Let’s take it back to Idaho.”

I’m so glad I found my Buffalo!

The End



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.