Skip to main content

Making Magic with just one Photograph!



Have you heard it said, "Give an artist a camera and a computer and see what happens"!    Well, four years ago: I retired; moved to North Carolina; and, started spending time photographing and learning about all the birds that I previously never knew existed.

I mean, I knew about Robins, and Blue Birds, and Crows, and Sparrows and all the "typical" birds that most of us learn about as children; but; it blew my mind when I started seeing all kinds of birds in our new backyard that I had never, ever, seen in my entire life.  In fact, I have observed and photographed over 50 different species of birds that have visited our little, residential backyard over the past three and a half years.

Learning about the birds and about photography went hand-in-hand.  I believe that I have milked my old camera for all it's worth.  I can honestly say that I have taken well over 200,000 photographs in 2020 alone.  I have no intention of "upgrading" cameras in order to compete with the "big guys".  There are plenty of good photographers around.  I have no desire to add my name to the list.   

Being an artist and not a photographer, I am now starting to create photo art using the photographs that I have taken over the years.  

Many people have asked me if I use photoshop.  The answer is no.   I was given an old version; but, never downloaded it because of the learning curve.  I could not seem to cut out a big enough chunk of time to experiment enough in order to become proficient with a new tool and, hey, time is too short.

I use the photo editing tools in Microsoft Power Point and Paint 3D - because they happen to both be on my desktop and I have gotten really familiar with the different ways I can combine photos and then digitally paint them.  In fact, I might be the only person who uses Power Point in this way.  I think it is fabulous!

Tonight, I was looking at that photograph pictured above, of a little chickadee, and thought, "I think I can dress him up for Christmas".  One thing led to another and I ended up creating several new images from that one simple photo.  It is kind of like playing  bird "paper dolls"!










































Be sure to follow me on my facebook page, if you want to keep up on our adventures.  We have a great group and a lot of fun!







Comments

Anonymous said…
I love these! You should make greeting cards or a calendar!
CEEcrets said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.