Skip to main content

What a Wonderful Evening!

We have been keeping our eye on the wild blackberry bushes which grow profusely along the banks of the creek.  They should be ready to harvest in early to mid July. However, when I got home from work tonight, my husband Michael informed me that he had decided to take the long route home from his trip to the dumpster at lunch today.  He took the path along the creek that runs through the Secret Garden with the intent to check on the wild plums which ripen much earlier than the berries.  Intertwined in one of the plum trees were the largest berries he had ever seen; and, they were ripe!   Most of them were growing out of reach on the other side of the creek; however, there were a few vines that had climbed over a tree branch and he was able to pluck a few off and bring them home.

He first told me about them and then he showed them to me.  WOW!  He was right they were really big berries!

We decided that although it was probably 100 degrees outside, we really needed to try to get more of those berries.  They were ready to be harvested and in this heat they might not make it to the weekend.  I had won a pair of steel toed, rubber hip boots at the Building Safety Month raffle at work and had been waiting for an opportunity to test them out.  So, I pulled them on over a pair of leggings, got my berry basket ready and we headed out the door.

We decided to cross over the creek and attempt an attack  from the back while they weren't looking.  Trudging through brush and climbing up and down steep creek banks in 100 degree weather wearing boots that weigh a ton and are just a size or two too large was no easy task.  I felt like my legs weighed 100 pounds each.  Once we reached a spot where the berries were growing we realized that the ripe berries were hanging on vines that actually hung over a steep side of the creek and there was no way of reaching them without potentially taking a pretty nasty fall 7 or 8 feet down into the water.  We regrouped, after also realizing that we had probably gone through several bushes of poison oak in our efforts to each those darn berries, and decided that I would actually need to go down into the creek.  Once in the creek with my hip boots (that was fun - they work really well - good traction) I was able to grab a few of the vines with my bamboo walking stick (which doubles as a magic dragon fly wand) and pull them within reach.

After all that effort, we ended up with only a couple dozen berries and decided to head home--somewhat disappointed, extremely overheated, and, frankly, I was worn out.  Who needs a membership to a gym when you have steel toed rubber hip boots?

We washed them up and had just enough to make fresh wild berry smoothies.  Oh my, you should have tasted them.  I make fruit smoothies quit often in the summer months with frozen berries.   What  difference! The smoothies we had tonight tasted absolutely incredible!   I'm afraid I've now been spoiled and will have a hard time enjoying my frozen berry smoothies from this point forward.

Our first harvest of the summer.  Look at the size of those berries!



First Harvest of the Season

YUMMY!
While we were sitting out on the balcony enjoying the fruit of our labor, we kept wondering what kind of berries we had found. All of the other berries are still very green; but these (and we believe this is the only location in the entire Secret Garden where they can be found) were very, very ripe. We did a little research and have concluded that they may be Black Butte berries. Black Butte is considered the "World's Largest" Blackberry. This huge, sweet berry reaches one inch in diameter and two inches long. This makes it nearly twice the size of other blackberries. Black Butte ripen four to six weeks earlier than many other blackberries.


This year should prove to be a pretty good year in terms of berry harvest.  One of our competitors (a neighbor who had also discovered the Secret Garden and would many times get to them before we could) has moved away.    We shall see and hopefully I will be able to find time to keep you all posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.