Skip to main content

eBay, Shutter Counts, and God's Providence in Our Lives





What I have learned about cameras and so much more!  The shutter count on a camera is like the miles on a car.  Depending on the camera, the average life of a shutter can vary from anything as low as 20,000 shutter actuations right up to 350,000.  Having a shutter replaced on a camera can run anywhere from $300 to $600 dollars with most of the cost in labor.

On average, my camera, the Canon EOS Rebel T5, has a shutter life expectancy of 25,000 actuations.  The amazing thing to me is that on a good day I could take over 2,000 pictures.  So, that little camera, miraculously far exceeded its life expectancy by approximately 400,000 miles and for that I am so very grateful.  Shutter count is critical when deciding to buy a used camera, no matter what kind of camera you use.

The camera I have been using for the past three years is a Canon EOS Rebel T5.  The current cost for replacement is $449 which was not even remotely possible within our current budget.  So, what was I to do?

Several weeks before the camera died, I had scheduled a photo session for a neighbor and her grand-kids at an insanely low price and had also resolved that what I really wanted to do is to start offering free family photo sessions to less fortunate families who could never afford to hire a professional photographer.  I had already scheduled one session with another such family and was so excited that I might be able to use any gifting the Lord has given me to gift others.

Then it happened!  The camera died!  I was heart sick over this.  Michael and I looked over our budget and realized that there was really no way that we could afford to purchase a new camera.  However, with the possible payment from the upcoming photo session, we could afford to purchase a used replacement camera, as long as we kept it under $200.

I searched eBay and found over 16 listings for used Rebel T5’s but every time I tried to win a bid it would end up selling for well over the $200 limit.  I then kept looking for new listings that would allow someone to make an offer.  A new listing finally appeared and I made an offer along with a long message to the seller regarding my situation.  The seller, to my surprise, sent a counteroffer for just $10 more than I had offered and the deal was finalized.

I then noticed that the Seller lived in High Point, North Carolina which is just 30 minutes away from us.  So I asked the seller, if they would be willing to let us drive there and get the camera rather than having it shipped.  I had already paid the $9.95 for shipping (still keeping the total purchase under $200); but, thought it would be better to simply avoid not only the time involved; but, also the possibility of damage or loss during shipping.


The seller not only agreed; but, also wanted to meet us halfway in Greensboro at a Starbucks.  So, I was thrilled and hoped that they might be willing to meet us there on Friday.  I truly did not expect that their schedule would be that flexible, but was really hoping to have the camera before the weekend, because a friend of mine was taking me to my first trip to the Coast on Saturday.

When the seller replied to my request, they informed me that they could not make the Friday date.  At first I was so disappointed.  But, as I kept reading, they stated that they would rather meet on Thursday.  WHAT?  Are you kidding me?   I purchased the camera on eBay on Wednesday and might actually have it in my hands by Thursday—just 24 hours later?

Michael and I drove to the Starbucks yesterday to meet the seller.  We really had no idea what to expect.  We only knew that they would be driving a tan Jeep Wrangler.  I was standing outside of our car and saw the Jeep turning the corner.  With a big smile on my face, I waved enthusiastically.  After pulling up and parking next to our car, out jumps a cute, red-headed, freckled faced, 23-year-old, young man.

As he handed us the bag with the camera in it, he told us that he had powered it on and that he had erased the images on the memory card.  There were only 30 images ever taken with this camera.  It was technically a brand-new camera!  I could hardly believe my eyes.  It was exactly like the original package that we had received three years ago!  The young man told us that he was selling it for a close friend of his, who had bought the camera for her mother as a retirement gift because her mother had wanted to start enjoying nature and capturing photos of the wonderful things she would now have the time to enjoy.  Sadly, his friend’s mother, had passed away from an illness before ever having the chance to really use the camera.

I told the young man to let his friend know that the gift she had given to her mother would now be used in the very same way that her mother would have wanted and that it would also be used to pass on the gift that she gave to her mother as gifts to others through the images that are captured.

This all just blows my mind.  I have a feeling that there will be more to this story.  We shall wait and see.  God always has reasons for everything that we are not usually aware of at the time.

What is the one thing I do know, without a doubt?  I will be much more judicious with the use of my right index finger when using this precious new gift!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.