Skip to main content

The "Avalon" Adventure!


 DRAFT - RUSH POST - FORGIVE THE TYPO'S

This story is a true story and has absolutely nothing to do with the Celtic legend about an island named Avalon, represented by an earthy paradise in the western seas, to which King Arthur and other heroes were carried at death.  No—nothing in common with that at all; accept the miraculous!

 This story begins in 1998.

 In 1998, at the age of 38, I had the opportunity, for the first time in my adult life, to purchase a “good car”.  You know what I mean, right?  A car that you would not need to make sure you put in neutral at the stop light and keep your foot on the accelerator so that it would not die, kind of “good car”.  I car with a moon roof, leather power seats that had seat heaters in them (WHAT?); and a 12 pack CD player in the trunk.  When I had finally found myself in a position to buy such a car, I wasn’t even sure how to go about finding one.

 The first thing I did was to research all the consumer reports and then research blue book values, etc.  I learned enough to know that I did not want to buy a new car, because as soon as you drive them off the lot they drop in value.  I learned that what I wanted was a “certified lease return” so that all the maintenance was done regularly, etc. and the vehicle was covered like a new vehicle would be covered by the dealer.  So, I kept on learning and kept on praying!

 One week later, armed with what I wanted and what I would be willing to pay, there she was!  A 1995 Toyota Avalon, fully loaded, dealer certified, lease return.  I had also learned to by-pass the salesperson and go straight to the finance person with my offer.  I presented it.  He looked at me like I was crazy and quickly declined the offer.  I told him to call me if he changed his mind and left my contact information along with the written offer.  Within 24 hours he called me and said he would accept the offer.

 I drove down the next day and closed the deal!  I will never forget how I felt getting into that Avalon that day.  I was actually scared to death to even drive it off the lot.  I had never in my life owned a car so new and so beautiful.  I sat in the driver’s seat just thanking the Lord for this wonderful car!  As I turned the ignition on the radio was on and started playing a Contemporary Christian song that I was familiar with.  Of course, I smiled instantly!  I decided to check each pre-programmed station, and discovered, as I sat there in the Toyota dealership parking lot, that every single pre-programmed station was a Christian radio station! 

 That was my first Avalon and I drove that Avalon until 2016 with over 300,000 miles on the original engine until we decided to move to North Carolina from California.  We decided to gift it to an older lady that lived in the Mobile Home Park where we lived.  She was on limited income and needed a car to get her to the store and back.  I loved that car and it was hard for me to say goodbye.

JUMP TO 2016

Having decided to retire and move out of California to Burlington North Carolina we also realized we would need another reliable, comfortable car once we got settled in.  I knew I wanted another Avalon.  I tend to be “Car Loyal”.  So, to make a long story short, once everything was done regarding the move, accept helping mom sell her house in California and with Michael in Burlington and me with my mom, we decided that Michael could buy the car so that by the time mom and I arrived it would be there.

 Any one who knows me, knows that I love research; so, I could not, not help with the car hunt even though I was 3,000 miles away.  In matters of minutes of researching online, I found the car!  This was one of those times when I had no real logical reason for thinking it was the car—just a “feeling” –which anyone who knows me; knows I have issues with going with “feelings”.  But, having said that.  There she was!

 A 2003 Toyota Avalon at a used car lot in Greensboro.  I emailed Michael the link and the very next day, he had bought the vehicle.  In the glove compartment was the invoice for the original purchase.  It had only one owner and I was able to find the original owner on Facebook.  When I accessed her facebook page it was filled with quotes from C.H. Spurgeon!  (For those who don’t know who he is.  He is one of our favorite Christian preachers/pastors from the 1800’s.)  Once again, it was clear to us that the Lord had pointed us to this particular vehicle.

JUMP TO NOW!

It is now 2023 and we still drive and love our 2003 Toyota Avalon.  It is 20 years old and still drives like a new car.  Our mechanic tells us that it will probably last as long as we do if we keep up the with normal maintenance.

 Here is what prompted this entire story!

Michael and I realized that our 20-year-old car will one day die.  In fact, it did leave us stranded in our church parking lot a few months ago because of a relatively minor clogged intake sensor “thingy” that we were able to have replaced.  But, that little incident made us realize that we did need another reliable car that mom can get in and out of in the event that the 2003 Avalon is in the shop, etc.  Michael 1995 Honda Accord is simply not going to work as a back up vehicle for our 84-year-old mom.  Heck, I can barely get in and out of it, anymore!

 This is where the “Miraculous” happened.  Building up to the miraculous, Michael and I had decided that perhaps we should just “bite the bullet” and get another “Toyota Certified Lease Return Vehicle” (like my first Avalon).  Of course, this would mean going back into debt; but, we thought it might be a wise decision to have a reliable car that would last at least as long as we have left on earth, rather than worrying about getting stranded with my elderly mom again.  So, what did we do?  We researched and researched; we googled and googled; we carfaxed and carvana’d!

 On Friday, of this past week, we thought we had found the car!  It was a 2020 Toyota Avalon - Certified Lease Return with new car warrantees and all the bells and whistles.  We knew what we would pay.  We knew what we would put down and transferred that exact amount into our checking account; we knew what our monthly payments would be; we knew what the interest rates should be and we were “all in”.  After driving over an hour to dealer; and then spending 3 hours in the dealership, the Lord made it clear to me (I know – what does that mean????) that we should not buy this car.  That is a long story in and of itself; but basically, even though we finally got them down do what we originally had determined and agreed upon; I just felt wrong about it and although I left it entirely up to Michael to decide, he said, (after three hours) “Unless both my wife and I are 100% in, we need to give it more thought”.

 The most interesting part of the story is that, I attempted to explain to the “finance guy” that what we really wanted was an older Toyota Avalon (like the one we already have) that we can simply have as a back-up to the one we already own, just in case one needs to be in the shop for a while.  That way we would know mom could get in and out of it comfortable, etc.  Is response was, “Goodluck – I gues if you have all the time in the world and a lot of luck that would make sense.  But, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack!”

 As we left that dealership and started our long hour drive home, I said to Michael, “Thank you so much for not buying that car from those people.  I know we are feeling somewhat disappointed because our plans did not work out as we had thought that they would; but, I just know that the Lord will find us that “needle in the haystack” as He always does.  Michael agreed and we had a lovely drive home.

 Now, let me set this up so that you all know how amazing the rest of the story is.

Michael and I, and my mom, are members of a Church in town and we have attended worship every Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday evenings for the past 6 and a half years.  One Sunday, a few months ago, mom wasn’t feeling well, and knowing that I was always interested in seeing what the Lord was doing in other churches in our geographical area, Michael decided to take me to worship at a little church we noticed popped up nearer our home.

 That was where we met, Bryan and his kids.  After church we were invited to his home and took a lovely tour of his wonderful garden and spent time getting to know him and his delightful daughter.  He has a heart and vision for developing a Christian Artists Ministry Group for the surrounding communities and of course I am 100% in support of that.  We also discovered that he was a close friend of another man that was a member of our church.  We had such a wonderful time that Sunday.  A time I will never forget.

 Over the next couple months, we kept in touch over social media and kept Bryan and his family in our prayers; His vision for the Arts and his family.

 In addition to all of this, almost a month ago, I decided to take a break from social media.  What does that have to do with a Toyota Avalon?

 Are you ready?  Well – here you go!

 This morning, I got this thought, “Reach out to all your friend and family” – “Tell them what you are looking for”.  So, I wrote this on my facebook:

 

“Breaking my Social Media Vacation for a SPECIAL REQUEST!

 

We are hoping to buy a used TOYOTA AVALON from an owner (not a car lot) If you are within a hundred mile radius of Burlington NC and want to (or know someone who wants to) sell your/their older model Toyota Avalon, please message me. The years we would consider buying:  2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2015-2019

 

THANKS SO MUCH for any assistance with this. Your help will bless two parties (the previous owner and us) around the Holidays.”

 

Within a few minutes, Bryan, who I hardly, really, barely know; that lives 15 minutes away, not only sees my post (which is highly unusual knowing Facebook algorithms) but messages me that a neighbor of his asked him a few days ago if he was interested in buying his used Toyota Avalon!  Bryan was not interested; but went ahead a took a picture of it that day thinking that he was taking the picture for someone else.

 Bryan sent me that picture and guess what!  Michael and I bought the Toyota Avalon tonight!  It was the “Needle in the Haystack” that that Toyota dealer thought we would never find!

 Yes!  We all believe that was and is a “God Thing”  - We ended up spending several hours with Bryan and his family tonight celebrating the amazing, awesomeness of the reality of God in our lives!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.