Skip to main content

Sometimes you just gotta laugh....

I came across this news release (it's a satire on the state of the modern "christian" community) and it was just what the doctor ordered. Although the condition of the church is really no laughing matter and it brings me great sorrow--sometimes you just gotta laugh to get through another day.

Pastor Admits Himself for Treatment
November 15, 2008 - Boise, Idaho

Church officials for Jerusalem’s Bus Stop, a gathering of Christ-followers in Boise, Idaho have reported that Pastor/Head Facilitator Tucker Wynn has taken a leave of absence in the wake of what they describe as Wynn “hitting a major pothole in his faith journey” when he told several people during his sermon to “shut up and read your Bible.”

Jacob Mason, the church’s Supervisor of Holistic Meditation, witnessed the shocking event. “Tuck was facilitating our usual sermon-dialogue time on Sunday when Karen, our director of pottery, tried to express her inner feelings on what God was saying to her. Before she could share her feelings, however, Tuck said that he had a feeling to share, too. He said he felt like she needed to shut up and focus on God’s word instead of her feelings. Needless to say, Karen’s feelings were hurt, so she told him how she felt about his feelings toward her. Then we opened up the discussion for others to express how they felt.”

According to several eyewitnesses, Pastor Wynn then screamed, “What is WRONG with you people!” and fled the building.

Sadly, this was not the first time Wynn had exhibited a drift toward fundamentalism and biblical certainty. Two months earlier, church leaders became concerned when Wynn became noticeably excited about ordering the new ESV Study Bible. “Things just didn’t seem right with Tuck after that,” said tattoo and piercing minister Leslie Moore. “First he started using big words like hermeneutics, exegesis, and perspicuity. Then he started hammering us on doctrine, of all things. Before we knew it, he was blowing out our candles and turning up the dimmer switch in the sanctuary so we could read the Bible during worship. Talk about a buzz kill. We could barely see the Nooma videos with all the lights on.”

During his leave of absence, Pastor Wynn will be under medical supervision at Intermountain Hospital on a voluntary basis. “This break will be good for me,” Wynn confided from his bed. “The doctors have made me understand that I’m powerless to make people focus on the clear teachings of Scripture instead of their feelings. Obviously I can’t compete with their feelings, so I need to take a deep breath and stay calm. But it’s hard, you know? Talking to them is like banging my head against a wall over and over and over again. Bam! Bam! Bam! I mean, what is with these people?! Why do they do this? Why?! Tell me, why?! WHY?!!— Um, can you excuse me a minute?… Nurse! I think I need another pill!”

While Wynn remains in padded wrist restraints, the church will continue their Sunday gatherings under the leadership of Associate Pastor Justin Hanna, who is confident of Wynn’s future return. “Everyone at Jerusalem’s Bus Stop has had a chance to share their feelings about what happened, and we’ve decided that our diverse faith community is tolerant enough to include rabid fundamentalists like Tuck who are hung up on the centrality of the Bible,” Hanna explained. “Of course, if he keeps trying to shove scripture down our throats all the time, we might have to share our feelings with him again.”

End of Article

Hope I didn't offend or hurt anyone's feelings. I have been experiencing so many groups where those who know little about God or His Word, spend hours sitting around confusing each other with their opinions and feelings about Him. Although these types of gatherings may be interesting; help everyone get to no one another; and provoke thought, they will not result in believers growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. These types of gatherings are rapidly replacing "real" bible study.

And, yes, many times I have found myself thinking, "I don't care what you think; I want to know what God thinks. Can I relate to "Shut up and read your Bible's"? Oh, yes I can. If we would do just that, we would spend a lot less time thinking we have some insightful thing to share; and, when we do share, it might actually be something that will feed the soul instead of the flesh.

Comments

Mel said…
I have a question... Why did you think this post would hurt or offend anyone? I can see the humor in it, but the humor is overshadowed with a tragic sadness. I can see myself in this post, though. Listening to what I think God is whispering to my heart, even more than I listen to His clearly revealed Words and will in the Holy Scriptures. May He have mercy on me, and on anyone who elevates their own thoughts and feelings above those of our magnificent Creator.

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.