Skip to main content

The Mattress, the "Monkey" and the Meltdown

As much as one attempts to organize and schedule; sometimes things just don't work out the way we plan.  We had earlier in the month successfully moved three, seven foot high, solid oak book cases and two solid oak desks down the skinny flight of stairs.  So, how hard could it be to move a mattress and a "Monkey"?

Well, Monday after work was the scheduled day to find out.  This was the first afternoon move that we had scheduled.  Every other move occurred between 6:30 and 8:30 in the cool of the morning.   I had no idea how much that mattered.  It was over 85 degrees when I got to the apartment at 4:30 p.m.

It was not only hot; but, I had put in a full day at the office and was tired.  As we attempted to move a queen size mattress down the skinny stairs, a few yellow jackets decided to check things out.  So here I was contending with a very awkward and heavy mattress, walking backwards down the stairs, while trying not to get stung!   Did I mention that I am allergic to wasps and bee stings?

We made it to the bottom of the stairs with the mattress and were able to get it loaded into the truck.  In the meantime, I had put "Monkey" into the large crate in preparation for the big move.  He is an indoor cat and has not ventured out of the apartment in over three years so we were not sure just what kind of a traveler he would be.

Michael took one side of the crate and I took the other.  As we descended  the flight of stairs, not a peep came out of Monkey and I said, "Wow!  Look at that!  This may go really well.  You are such a good kitty!"

Once all was loaded and ready to go:  Deni in her truck with the big stuff; Michael in his car with the rest of the boxes; and, me in the Avalon with Monkey; we hit the road to Rancho Cordova.  I had Michael put the crate in the back seat with the opening facing the driver's seat so that I could keep my eye on him.  Things seemed to be going well for the first few minutes.  Then, Monkey started screaming!  Sounds came out of that animal that I had never heard before and I had no clue how to calm him down.  I would glance back and say, "It's okay Monkey.  Every things going to be all right."   Nothing seemed to quiet him.  His little chest was heaving and he was screaming.  I turned on the radio and the music seemed to calm him for about 2 minutes and then he started screaming again.

My nerves at this point were completely frayed.  Although it was only a nine mile trip, every second felt like an hour.  Then all of a sudden he stopped screaming. "Yeah!"  I thought, until I glanced back and saw him staring into space with his mouth wide open and not a sound coming from him!  It was as if he was having a Grand Mall seizure!



That was it!  I was done!  Now what?  My cat (I am not a cat person) was dying and there was nothing I could do to help help.  I decided to pull around Deni and get to the house as quickly as possible.   Then the screaming started again.  This was a good thing!  At least he was breathing!   So, the trip was a constant back and forth of screaming and then staring with glazed eyes and a mouth held wide open in total silence with chest heaving.  At every light I would glance back and start crying hysterically.

By the time we arrived, all I wanted to do was get Money into the house.  I did not want to unpack the truck or the car, I wanted a cold beer!

Of course, neither Michael or Deni, had any idea of what had transpired in my car and the fact that I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  I was hot, tired, and emotionally exhausted!  This was the worst day of the entire two month project!  I was certain that Monkey had suffered permanent brain damage and would never be the same.

Needless to say, I lost it!  I broke down!   Poor Michael had never seen this side of me in the four years that we have been married.  He has only known me to be a "Cowboy Up!" kind of person.

Well - we all got through it and both Michael and Deni still love me and Monkey survived.  I later discovered that cats have an extra sensory gland inside their mouths and so the open mouth and blank stare was Monkey's way of trying to gain more information from the environment as to what was going on!

Yep - we packed up Monkey and the Mattress and moved them on Monday and they both survived.  Hey - even I am now back to semi-normal!




.  



Comments

totodogs said…
I know it wasn't funny at the time, but your telling of the tale was hilarious! I can empathize! lol
Dianna Wood said…
Yep - I can actually laugh now myself. Monkey absolutely loves his new house. The experience actually seems to have created a new bond between us.
Unknown said…
This project of yr move was heavy duty to read had me on pins and needle stress and i am just coming across the issues you incounter with cat monkey heck i need a beer i was laughing but not for long i was concerned for all and i am not a cat person but this realy got my attention God bless you and family

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.