April 10, 2014

The Mattress, the "Monkey" and the Meltdown

As much as one attempts to organize and schedule; sometimes things just don't work out the way we plan.  We had earlier in the month successfully moved three, seven foot high, solid oak book cases and two solid oak desks down the skinny flight of stairs.  So, how hard could it be to move a mattress and a "Monkey"?

Well, Monday after work was the scheduled day to find out.  This was the first afternoon move that we had scheduled.  Every other move occurred between 6:30 and 8:30 in the cool of the morning.   I had no idea how much that mattered.  It was over 85 degrees when I got to the apartment at 4:30 p.m.

It was not only hot; but, I had put in a full day at the office and was tired.  As we attempted to move a queen size mattress down the skinny stairs, a few yellow jackets decided to check things out.  So here I was contending with a very awkward and heavy mattress, walking backwards down the stairs, while trying not to get stung!   Did I mention that I am allergic to wasps and bee stings?

We made it to the bottom of the stairs with the mattress and were able to get it loaded into the truck.  In the meantime, I had put "Monkey" into the large crate in preparation for the big move.  He is an indoor cat and has not ventured out of the apartment in over three years so we were not sure just what kind of a traveler he would be.

Michael took one side of the crate and I took the other.  As we descended  the flight of stairs, not a peep came out of Monkey and I said, "Wow!  Look at that!  This may go really well.  You are such a good kitty!"

Once all was loaded and ready to go:  Deni in her truck with the big stuff; Michael in his car with the rest of the boxes; and, me in the Avalon with Monkey; we hit the road to Rancho Cordova.  I had Michael put the crate in the back seat with the opening facing the driver's seat so that I could keep my eye on him.  Things seemed to be going well for the first few minutes.  Then, Monkey started screaming!  Sounds came out of that animal that I had never heard before and I had no clue how to calm him down.  I would glance back and say, "It's okay Monkey.  Every things going to be all right."   Nothing seemed to quiet him.  His little chest was heaving and he was screaming.  I turned on the radio and the music seemed to calm him for about 2 minutes and then he started screaming again.

My nerves at this point were completely frayed.  Although it was only a nine mile trip, every second felt like an hour.  Then all of a sudden he stopped screaming. "Yeah!"  I thought, until I glanced back and saw him staring into space with his mouth wide open and not a sound coming from him!  It was as if he was having a Grand Mall seizure!

That was it!  I was done!  Now what?  My cat (I am not a cat person) was dying and there was nothing I could do to help help.  I decided to pull around Deni and get to the house as quickly as possible.   Then the screaming started again.  This was a good thing!  At least he was breathing!   So, the trip was a constant back and forth of screaming and then staring with glazed eyes and a mouth held wide open in total silence with chest heaving.  At every light I would glance back and start crying hysterically.

By the time we arrived, all I wanted to do was get Money into the house.  I did not want to unpack the truck or the car, I wanted a cold beer!

Of course, neither Michael or Deni, had any idea of what had transpired in my car and the fact that I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  I was hot, tired, and emotionally exhausted!  This was the worst day of the entire two month project!  I was certain that Monkey had suffered permanent brain damage and would never be the same.

Needless to say, I lost it!  I broke down!   Poor Michael had never seen this side of me in the four years that we have been married.  He has only known me to be a "Cowboy Up!" kind of person.

Well - we all got through it and both Michael and Deni still love me and Monkey survived.  I later discovered that cats have an extra sensory gland inside their mouths and so the open mouth and blank stare was Monkey's way of trying to gain more information from the environment as to what was going on!

Yep - we packed up Monkey and the Mattress and moved them on Monday and they both survived.  Hey - even I am now back to semi-normal!



totodogs said...

I know it wasn't funny at the time, but your telling of the tale was hilarious! I can empathize! lol

Dianna Wood said...

Yep - I can actually laugh now myself. Monkey absolutely loves his new house. The experience actually seems to have created a new bond between us.

Deb Martinez said...

This project of yr move was heavy duty to read had me on pins and needle stress and i am just coming across the issues you incounter with cat monkey heck i need a beer i was laughing but not for long i was concerned for all and i am not a cat person but this realy got my attention God bless you and family