I am driving home from a beautiful time of worshipping the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe and singing praises to my Savior and King. At a stop sign, I turn on KLOVE because (on occasion) they play wonderful worship songs and my CD player is broken, therefore I have limited music choices while in the car.
No song was playing. Instead, I hear the disc jockey laughing as she shares the following news article entitled "Top Ten Reasons to Go to Church" with the listeners. She thought that it was quite humorous and could really relate to reason #7 below. She then recommended that you read the entire list on KLOVE's website.
No, it was not written by David Letterman--that would be understandable. It was written by Bill Shuler, the pastor of the Capital Life Church in Arlington, Virginia.
So, last night I read about how youth are asked to "text message" their decisions for Christ on their cell phones at a "christian" concert and this morning I get to hear this on a "christian" radio station:
Top 10 Reasons to Go to Church
1. It’s a way to get a healthy glow without makeup.
2. Elvis started out in a church choir … so can you.
3. Goodness and mercy will follow you all the rest of your life–which are better than the IRS or FBI.
4. In this economy, it might be good to be hooked up with Someone who can turn water into wine.
5. You can walk down an aisle and approach an altar without having to gain a mother-in-law.
6. The Biblical admonition to “greet one another with a holy kiss” boosts your social life.
7. Hard Times? Kids getting on your nerves? Free coffee and child care at church!
8. The sound of money dropping is the offering, not your stocks.
9. Robes, candles, music…and it’s less expensive than a spa.
10. With April 15 coming, remember, Man does not live by Turbotax alone.
So I ask you, "Do you think God finds this amusing? Do you find this amusing? Frankly, if you do, you cannot possibly know God.