Skip to main content

The Pleasure and Joy of Obedience

I was 35 years old before God said to my soul, "Let light shine out of darkness," and made His light shine in my heart to give me the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. " I had heard the Gospel and intellectually understood who Christ was and what the Bible said that He accomplished on the Cross and yet had no interest or desire for Christ until that day in 1995.

My whole orientation changed after that glorious moment.

One year later, as I learned more about the Lord and His plan of redemption as reveled in His Word; and listened to the struggles of those who professed Him as their Savior, I grew more and more perplexed by a question. "Why do you love and obey the Lord?" and "Why don't you love and obey the Lord?" if you wear His glorious name?" I soon realized (by talking with many Christians) that there was much confusion about why one should obey the Lord and desire a life of holiness and obedience.

That was 13 years ago and I am still finding that to be the case with most who wear His name.

To best express this confusion, I will offer the following analogy, "Why a teenage boy obeys his natural father when told to mow the lawn and take out the garbage":

Father #1 is a demanding mean father. The boy knows that if he does not obey he will receive a severe beating and/or be denied many privileges. The boy is motivated to obey in order to avoid punishment.

Father # 2 is a reward giver. The boy has been told that if he obeys he will gain something, like the keys to his dad's car for Saturday night. The boy obeys to gain a reward.

Father #3 is a loving, honorable, trustworthy, man of integrity and simply tells the boy, "I am your father and I am telling you to mow the lawn and take out the garbage." The only motivation the boy has to obey is to please the father that he loves and respects.

Oh, but perhaps the reader missed something. There is a reward for the boy in #3 above: The greatest reward comes from knowing that he has brought pleasure and joy to his father and just hearing his dad say, "That's my boy in whom I am well pleased" is all the reward this boy would ever desire.

The boy in #3 also knows that his behavior outside of his father's house and control will either bring honor or shame to his father's name. Because he loves his father, that it of utmost importance to him and helps him dearly as he fights any temptation to engage in something that he knows would break his fathers heart and dishonor him. He longs to hear the words, "Your father must be a great dad, to have raised a boy of your honorable character"

Who is your Father? What motivates you to obey Him?

more tomorrow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.