Skip to main content

Twelve Hours in the Bathroom - or - Stopping to Smell the Roses

Michael and I arrived at the house bright and early on Saturday morning.  The plan was for me to prime and paint the dry rot repair area under the living room window and work on the bathroom.  The bathroom vanity back splash was painted apricot orange.  Michael was going to work on sealing the living room window with plexiglass in preparation for covering it with wall-to-wall oak book cases.

As I got to work, Michael grabbed the camera and disappeared.  Unbeknownst to me, he had noticed that the single rose bud, on our only rose bush in the garden, had little dew drops covering it and wanted to capture a picture.  He re-appeared after a few moments and started taking measurements and making preparations to seal the living room window.

Our First Rose!
   After Michael finished the preparation work, he went down to a family owned and operated, Plastics Shop, to purchase a piece of custom cut, Plexiglas and I proceeded to prime and paint the wall in the bathroom where we would be hanging our large framed mirror.  I got distracted by the skinny trim around the back splash, which had also been painted over with the apricot orange paint and decided to apply a bit of Jasco to it--I was so curious as to it's original appearance before it was covered with 2 or three layers of paint.  Well, guess what I discovered?   Gorgeous, shining chrome!   Just gotta love vintage!

The Original 1964 Chrome Trim - A discovery that set me back 6 hours!
Upon this discovery, I spent 4 hours removing every bit of the old paint from this trim and polished it up!  In between, I was running back and forth applying a second, third, and forth coat of primer to the new paneling that had been installed over the dry rot area.  The paneling had a finish on it that really did not want to be painted and I had no TSP at the house - so after 5 thin layers of primer, it finally gave into my perseverance and was covered.

Michael successfully finished the living room window project, and moved on to the bedroom.  He was cleaning each of the 17 drawers with Spic-and-Span and replacing the hardware.  After stripping the chrome trim, I moved on to the area where the contractors had removed the old Wedgewood Built in Oven.   Realizing that it would be quite sometime before we could afford a new oven, we knew we would have to do something, temporarily, to camouflage that giant hole!  We measured the area and brought over two black cubicle shelf units (that we had used at the apartment to store office supplies).  It turned out that they were the perfect dimensions and fit nicely after a bit of modification.  I had confiscated the Wedgewood Oven front plate and decided to clean it up and keep it as an art piece.  I was able to incorporate it into our new little storage area.  So, here is our new, temporary, non-oven, oven!


So much more to tell and so much more to do....we will keep you posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Market and Creating Quite a Stir! - Mobile Home for Sale in Rancho Cordova UPDATE: Sold

For those of you who have been following me on Hometalk.com, you are already aware of all the work that went into making this 1964, single-wide, mobile home into what it is today.  We have enjoyed living in it for the past two and half years.  However, we will eventually be moving to North Carolina and therefore will be putting our little house on the market.  If you are interested in buying it, please leave a comment.  It is located in Rancho Cordova, California in a gated senior park and the lot space per month is under $700.    Take a look around and let others know who are 55+ and would like to own this little house.   Let me know if you have any questions.  It will come with lots of little extra's!


Living Room will come with the floor to ceiling oak wall unit, the Faux Fireplace Heater, the floor lamp, and the large framed mirror.





Kitchen includes a new refrigerator, new Range Top, microwave, toaster oven, and a wave oven.  If you want the built in desk that can also be arran…

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay.





















Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.

Just a few more projects...like a working shower!

As promised, the following are some "after" pictures.  We have moved everything in and organized most of our things.  We still have several all day projects, like replacing the diverter valve and the washers in the shower.  Currently no functioning shower; but, I can always take a bath until we can get this done.  Yuck!

No time to write.  Just enough time to post a few pictures:













and clearly - Monkey is back to normal!