Skip to main content

IF we don’t do the IF’s—THEN the THEN’s won’t happen!

In life, we all know there are always “results” or “consequences” to our actions, i.e:

In the things of the flesh, we acknowledge that: If we quit our job, then we may not be able to pay our bills; If we stop spending so much money at Starbucks, then we might be able to afford a new coffee maker; If we don’t shower for 2 weeks, then we will stink; If we study for the exam, then we will get a better grade. If we eat too much, then we will get fat.

In the things of God, listen to what God tells us about what we need to do if we want to know Him and understand Him; have Him guide our paths; have Him give us wisdom; have discernment; have Him protect us from evil and temptation.

IF you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding;

IF you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding,


IF you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures,

THEN you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints.

THEN you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path; for wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you, delivering you from the way of evil, from men of perverted speech, who forsake the paths of uprightness to walk in the ways of darkness, who rejoice in doing evil and delight in the perverseness of evil, men whose paths are crooked, and who are devious in their ways.

Ponder the above passage from Proverbs 2.

IF we don’t do the IF’s—do we actually think that the THEN’s will miraculously happen anyway? If we do, we are in essence calling God a liar. If our understanding of God is not based on His Word, but on our own finite and imperfect thoughts, then we do not truly know Him.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones."

"I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I understand; therefore I hate every false way."

Comments

Mel said…
Sheesh, that seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it?

Yesterday, God showed me why I love your blog so much... It's because so much of what you write, or share, is close to the exact expression of my heart about those same topics. He knows that I do not now and may never have time to sit and think or write long enough to actually articulate most of these ideas, so He graciously allowed our paths to cross. I have a nearly 40-page Word document full of my favorites of your posts, which is very nearly all of them. :) I'm getting ready to print it out so I can put it in my "take to church" folder to share with others.

Thank you SO MUCH for recommending that truly excellent article about parenting. I will be sharing that with others as well.

Have an awesome Saturday!

With MUCH LOVE in Christ, and a spirit that is singing with joy,
Mel

Popular posts from this blog

Painted Patio Wall Transformation - Our New "Secret Garden"

Michael and I have discovered a Secret Garden every where we have lived since getting married in 2010.  Whether it was the creek that ran behind our first apartment in Sacramento or the tiny little space of our 520 square foot, 1962 single-wide, mobile home in Rancho Cordova, California, we were always able to discover and create a unique sanctuary to call home.  Even though, in years past, we did what we could to make our surroundings uniquely wonderful, we never had the room to go really crazy until now. Since moving to our new home in North Carolina in May, we have not only discovered a world of exotic creatures and plants outdoors, but we have also started taking full advantage of the additional space we now have available to add our own touch of whimsy to the new "Wood's Secret Garden". Our first major project was the Patio which joins the in-law quarters (where mom lives) to the kitchen entrance into the main house.  We have received so many questions abou

The Project!

So, I had a huge jar of left over glass pebbles--you know the kind that you get at the craft store in those little net bags. I use the flawless ones to make my custom art pendants and rather than throw away the flawed ones, I kept collecting them in a large glass jar hoping someday I would come up with a brilliant idea. Well, here it is! It's a work in progress... Clip I first cut out pages from an old pocket Bible that was falling apart and missing pages. Clip I them spent a good part of a day, decoupaging them to a long section of the hallway wall. Clip Once the decoupage had dried; I began at the bottom of the wall, gluing one glass bead at a time, using (you guessed it) E6000. This process took at least 10 separate, 1 hour sessions. Once I glued about 5 or 6 rows, I used lengths of scotch tape to secure them to the wall and allowed the glue to dry over night before starting another section. Clip This took a really, really, l

Custom Doll Trunk with Doll and tons of clothes and accessories now available!

This took forever!  After transforming the 24 inch Bratz Dolls into "Just K.I.D.S" as part of the campaign to help rescue kids trapped in the sex trafficking industry, I got the crazy idea to convert a vintage suitcase into a doll trunk.  After making the inside compartments and decoupaging and hand painting the entire outside of the suitcase (both front and back) the set is now complete and up for auction on Ebay. Leave a comment if you want to bid on this amazing doll trunk.  You even get to pick which doll you want to be included.